Monday, August 22, 2011

Beats by Dr. Dre (Solo HD)

So I needed new over the ear headphones because I use them for recording and they're better when using the computer. I walked around the headphones section in Best Buy. Just for curiosity I tried out the Beats by Dr. Dre headphones to see how the sound was. The sound was so clear and great! I really liked them! The price is pretty steep, they are the cheapest in the over the ear headphones range, retailing at Best Buy for $199, which is cheaper than what they say on the website, which is $229.95. The red ones are a good ones to buy though because the money goes to the Global Fund to fight AIDS in Africa.


First of all I noticed that it comes in a huge box, well it isn't huge, just big for a pair of headphones. So when I opened them, there was a nice case for the headphones. I was glad about that because they are expensive, they should have a case with it! It's really nice. Also they give you extra wires, which was neat, and they give you a cloth to clean the headphones. But I can use it for my iPod Touch too. But other than manuals, that was all that was in the box. 
Now for the actual product review.
I really like the headphones! They are comfortable and have outstanding sound. I like that on the wire there's a control where you can adjust the volume, and if you are using a phone, you can talk with the microphone that's on it. The cool thing is that when you're not using the headphones, you can fold them up! So it won't take up as much room in a bag as a normal pair of over the ear headphones would. Also, you can disconnect the wire from the headphones which I thought that was cool. 
The headphones feel very sturdy. It doesn't feel like they are going to break from being too flimsy. They feel like they will last a long time. But just in case something happens, I would highly recommend that you get a protection plan in case you break them.
The noise isolation is great! You can hardly hear anything on the outside. It's not 100% noise canceling, but I think that's a good thing just in case something happens where you need to hear. Also, if you take off the headphones and the music is still playing, people still can't hear it. I think that's really nice! 
But what might bother people is that the earphones themselves, the cushions, are smaller than the average over the ear headphones. Some people might like them to go completely over the ears. Beats do have others that the cushions are bigger, but they are more expensive. 
For the type of music played, I listen to a lot of movie scores. Like from John Williams or Hans Zimmer. And I have to say that the music sounds great even with that type of music! Really brings out the drums and a lot of the unique sounds that Hans Zimmer have in his scores like 'Inception', 'Pirates of the Caribbean' or the Nolan Batman films. Also, I listen to mostly Alternative and older Pop music. All sound great and clear.
So overall they are comfortable, great clear sound, sturdy, noise isolating and not a pain to transport. Every single genre sounds great on it and you can use it for hands free phone calling. The only negatives are that some people might not like the slightly smaller ear cushions and they are pretty expensive. But they are really brilliant headphones. If you are willing to splurge a little extra on headphones, these are the ones to get. 


No comments:

Post a Comment