Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Apple's OS X Lion

I know that the software has been out for a few weeks, but I didn't have this Blog then so I'm going to talk about it now.
Apple has released their new software from the Mac as an upgrade from Snow Leopard. It isn't a whole different software, a lot of it are the same, but there are new features.
The new main features are the following:
Multi-Touch Gestures
Full Screen Apps
Mission Control
The Mac App Store
Launchpad
Auto Save and Versions
and an improved Mail app

There are other small new features, but those are the major new ones. I myself have a Mac and I have Snow Leopard on mine. I love my computer to death and I've had almost no problems with it. The only really problem I've had was that I was typing up a paper for school and the computer froze on me and I had to force shut down the computer and bring it back up, and when I did the whole thing was gone. So I was really happy that they announced Auto Save, so I won't have that problem again. But that has been the only problem I've really had with my Mac, which is a huge difference from the multiple problems I've had with my Windows desktop (no hard feeling Microsoft). Also, I really was looking forward to the Full Screen feature. I think it's really awesome that we can now fill up the whole screen with the app we are using. For the other features I don't really care about, even though they are nice. I already have Multi-Touch Gestures on my MacBook Pro and the Mac App store, plus I'm fine with the Mail app that's already on my computer.
However, even though I find the new features exciting, I won't be getting the Lion software, at least right away. First before I say why, it is always smart to read reviews on a product before you buy it; and when I read the reviews on the Lion software, half loved it and half hated it.
A lot of people complained that their computers began to run slower and some features that they had with Snow Leopard were now gone. Obviously, Apple still has bugs and quirks to figure out so I understand that and when installing a new software, like Lion, it takes up a lot of power from the computer because it's a whole different software, then it returns to normal. So I understand that. But some of the features people have said that are not there any more bother me. Many people have said that the scroll bar is different, but you can change it back so it's not really all that serious,  Front Row gets taken away and I heard that they take Flash away.
The Flash really got me because Flash is used on almost every site. So I can't have that taken away from me, Flash is a part of the internet viewing experience. So after I heard that, I made up my mind to not get Lion. Now, Flash could still be there. So I think before I, or you, turn away Lion all together it's a good idea to go to the Apple Store and play around with a computer that has Lion installed on the computer. Also maybe ask a person who works there about the new software. After that, then I or you should make the decision to get it or not. Even though reading reviews helps tremendously on making a decision on buying a certain product, there's nothing better than actually going to the place where they have your product and playing around with it yourself. I hope this post has helped anyone in deciding whether or not to get the new OS X Lion and I hope that you are happy with your decision. I will update this page on what I decide to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment