Monday, October 3, 2011

Batman: Arkham Asylum game update and review

So I have been holding off playing the game for a few days, but I played it today and I finished the game!
I thought it would take me longer, but I finished ahead of schedule!
So let me tell you my experience with the Killer Croc level.
I was terrified of this part and that's why I was kind of holding back playing it.
But I toughed it out and turned on the game to get through the level. Yeah, it was really scary.
I screamed a lot of times when Croc popped out of the water. The level was quicker than I expected it to be.
I fell into the water once, but I went the wrong way plenty of times. Batman said it was like a maze down there and I completely agree, you don't know where to go and if you do go the wrong way, there is a better chance that Croc will pop out of the water more times than if you went the right way.
I fell into the water once, but I had to repeat another part of the level because I didn't explode the trap in enough time for Croc to fall in.
Here's some advice, when you are running away from Croc, put on Detective Mode so you know how big the weak wall is so when he comes towards it you can explode it at the right time.
I was so relived when I finished that part, I would say that is one of the scariest and hardest levels in the game, next to the morgue part.

So being done with that, the next major boss fight is Poison Ivy. That level was fine, I never died.
I played on Easy just to let you know. All I really did was dodge and throw a lot of batarangs.
Another tip, even though Ivy's shell doesn't open up, keep hitting it. It still damages her.
I kept getting caught in the vines, but it wasn't a big deal.
So after I defeated Ivy, I have to go to the party.
Just to let you know, that part is the last time you can pick up Riddler trophies and solve his riddles. So if you care about finding all of them, that is your last chance.
So when you get to the party there are goons standing all outside and they don't attack you, actually they look for Batman's name on the guest list. It's pretty funny. When you're allowed to go inside, there are more goons on both sides of you and they are clapping for you. You don't have to fight any of them, but if you want to you can. I didn't feel like it. I don't want to tell every detail, but you fight Joker and then the game is over.
Make sure to skip the credits and still watch, there are alternative scenes at the end.
It shows a box of Titan floating in the water and either Croc, Bane or Scarecrow's hand comes up and grabs it. I got Bane's hand.

So now that you know what parts I had to play, I am going to review the game overall.

Batman: Arkham Asylum is one of the best games I've ever played. It's exciting, it makes you think and the graphics are amazing! I am really glad that a lot of the cast from Batman: The Animated Series came and did their character's voices. Kevin Conroy is probably my favorite Batman,  Christian Bale is a close second. Mark Hamill is a tie as my favorite Joker next to Heath Ledger. Arleen Sorkin came back to voice Harley Quinn. It's a great long game and it's the longest game I have ever played (I think).
I want to really applaud the character designers. The way all of the characters looked were great! Batman's suit resembles the comics and Animated Series. Also, I loved the way Joker looked. I think it looks a lot like the comics. Scarecrow looks amazing. I love that he has the syringes on one of his hand in the style of Freddy Krueger. In the game you can clearly tell that his mask resembles a gas mask and his mask is suppose to be one, but you can see the two air things (I don't know what it's called) poking out. Bane was pretty much the same as in the comics, nothing really new, but I like that look so I was fine with it. I loved the way Croc looked, he was very intimidating and his voice was too. I wish that they had designed him like that in the Animated Series, I hated the way he looked in there. For Harley and Ivy, their outfits were pretty revealing. It's kind of obvious a lot of guys probably designed them.
The design of Arkham on the outside was great! I loved the way it looked.

Now I told the things I loved, it's time for the things I didn't really like.
I know a lot of people also complained about this and they will fix it in Arkham City, but you had to use Detective Mode a lot in this game. It was pretty cool, but you don't get to see the beautiful graphics.
Also, I know that when I was watching a walkthrough with commentary on this game, that the person got really annoyed with how Joker overused the PA system. It didn't really annoy me, I love the Joker, but for others they might've not liked it.
For the inside of Arkham, some parts were nice, but a lot of the Asylum looked like it wasn't all that friendly to people who are mentally sick. People are trying to be curing you and the place looks like it's a torture house. Also, for the Medical Facility, if you go down stairs in a part of an area, there are skeletons  chained up in this cage. I doubt Joker did that in the short amount of time he took over the place, so who would leave those there? And there were a lot of torture chairs and equipment. I highly doubt they really want to cure the insane.
Also, I thought that they didn't really do anything with Bane, only a fight that is exactly the same with the goons on Titan. Also, the way he was in the game resembled a teeny bit the way he was in Batman & Robin. Bane is a very intellectual character, and I know he get's a bad rep because of Batman & Robin, but I was hoping that the game would've spent more time with him like the other villains and gave him more to say.
Also, after a while, the lunatics were pretty annoying, but it didn't really bother me.
I think that's all I have to complain about, I really did love this game. And I absolutely loved the interview tapes. You really get a better idea of how the characters are, I would love to see or hear more interview tapes in the future. My favorites were probably Scarecrow, Riddler and Joker's.

Now that I'm done with this game, I am really pumped for Arkham City, so many more villains and that probably means that the game will be longer than Arkham Asylum. I cannot wait! Only 15 more days left!

No comments:

Post a Comment